Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developer Application
What position are you applying for (Development or Admin)?
Developer

How old are you?
N/A

Known IC Names:
N/A

What timezone are you in?
N/A

How long can you be active on the server everyday?
N/A

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
Five years

Have you ever been banned in the past?
No

Do you have any past experience as a moderator?
Some

*If you are applying for development, What skills do you have?( Mapping, coding or spriting etc.) 
Long time contributor to Bay12 project, contributor to TG project. Notable features on live servers include RUST fusion engine, Xenoarchaeology, ATMs.

*If you are applying for development, How long have you done Space Station 13 development?
Five long years

*If you are applying for development, How long have you been coding and how well do you understand it?
Over a decade. Familiar with professional software development practices

*If you are applying for development, What codebase are you familiar with?
TG and Baystation

*If you are applying for development, How long have you been a Mapper and how well do you understand it?
Five years

*If you are applying for development, How long have you been a Spriter and how well do you understand it?

Placeholder art only
Glad to see you are interested in our project!  Anyway I'm going to give  shout to our head-dev about your app.

Could you be kind and post your Ckey.
(08-06-2015, 08:22 PM)BDpuffy420 Wrote: Glad to see you are interested in our project!  Anyway I'm going to give  shout to our head-dev about your app.

ckey: caelaislinn

I have some concerns over your code licencing. If you are using any code from TG or Bay12 the entire codebase should be open sourced under the terms of their licencing agreements. That aside, I'd also like the option to see some of my own theoretical contributions open sourced at some point in the future.
(08-06-2015, 08:50 PM)Cael_Aislinn Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 08:22 PM)BDpuffy420 Wrote: Glad to see you are interested in our project!  Anyway I'm going to give  shout to our head-dev about your app.

ckey: caelaislinn

I have some concerns over your code licencing. If you are using any code from TG or Bay12 the entire codebase should be open sourced under the terms of their licencing agreements. That aside, I'd also like the option to see some of my own theoretical contributions open sourced at some point in the future.

After some quick asking around you seem to have a notable reputation, care to explain why? Also we do plan to have our code open sourced just at a later time when we feel the code is acceptable for the public.
Define "notable." If you'd like a code submission or rough outline of the things I'm thinking of working on, I'd be happy to do that.
I asked Apples and others if they had any past interaction with your work, and it was umm pretty mixed in the responses. But anyway a outline is fine.
Well, I'd like to sit down with the rest of the team and first lay out a clear set of gameplay design goals aka what features do we want that aren't just a reskin. Generally the stuff I'd like to see long term could probably be broken down to:

- Large ship travelling around the galaxy interacting with NPC ships and stations FTL style (a while back I prototyped a feature upgrade to the supply shuttle that let players ship goods around the solar system and buy/sell them for profit).
- Specific missions for the ship/crew FTL style (NPC ship interaction can happen via viewscreen dialogue options which can be responded to via verbs and follow preset/randomised dialogue trees... dialogue trees could be set via XML or something).

- Ship combat including large ships and fighters (this could be done via creative use of zlevels... including specific zlevels for 1 tile "capital ships" which can be steered around obstacles and to reach other ships).
- Limited ground missions (I coded a random away mission generator in a jungle setting, it had random alien temple layouts and some other goodies)
- More advanced NPC mob AI (in the jungle away mission, I coded a rudimentary "stalking" behaviour for some enemies)

As well as, obviously all the reskins. I've worked on major sub-projects for Bay12 before and I can do the hours required to complete this kind of work to scratch.
(08-06-2015, 10:00 PM)Cael_Aislinn Wrote: Well, I'd like to sit down with the rest of the team and first lay out a clear set of gameplay design goals aka what features do we want that aren't just a reskin. Generally the stuff I'd like to see long term could probably be broken down to:

- Large ship travelling around the galaxy interacting with NPC ships and stations FTL style (a while back I prototyped a feature upgrade to the supply shuttle that let players ship goods around the solar system and buy/sell them for profit).
- Specific missions for the ship/crew FTL style (NPC ship interaction can happen via viewscreen dialogue options which can be responded to via verbs and follow preset/randomised dialogue trees... dialogue trees could be set via XML or something).

- Ship combat including large ships and fighters (this could be done via creative use of zlevels... including specific zlevels for 1 tile "capital ships" which can be steered around obstacles and to reach other ships).
- Limited ground missions (I coded a random away mission generator in a jungle setting, it had random alien temple layouts and some other goodies)
- More advanced NPC mob AI (in the jungle away mission, I coded a rudimentary "stalking" behaviour for some enemies)

As well as, obviously all the reskins. I've worked on major sub-projects for Bay12 before and I can do the hours required to complete this kind of work to scratch.
Well there will be time for you to met up with the rest of the team and such, do you happen to have a skype?
Not to be mean here, but can you give a code submission that isn't the R-UST or atm, or xenoarch code? Something alot more recent?
(08-06-2015, 10:35 PM)ninjacha Wrote: Not to be mean here, but can you give a code submission that isn't the R-UST or atm, or xenoarch code? Something alot more recent?

I doubt he has anything recent.