Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skill System
So, there's been a bit of debate over making it so certain roles are the only ones that can do certain things, i.e. Medics are the only ones that can do surgery/apply biofoam, only pilots can fly vehicles, only Engineers can build shit, only Soldiers can fire accurately etc. However, such a restrictive system will mean that when there aren't enough people on the server to fill the roles, or people don't select roles based on what's needed, there'll be no-one available to pilot vehicles, fix up injured players etc. So, instead, I propose we instate a skill-based system. While some actions, such as piloting pelicans or performing surgery could be outright blocked, other actions such as applying biofoam or firing accurately could still be RNG based, with higher level skills basically assuring success.

This system would stop one Marine Scout Sniper from being the one that does everything for the Company, while also allowing players to not be forced down a specific play-style. Higher skilled characters (i.e. ODST, SPARTAN, Covenant etc.) could even be awarded extra skill points, or it could be a reward-based system where admins can decide to grant players extra points for significant acts of robustness, whether in that be for roleplay, engineering/medical prowess or killing all the innies in one fell swoop.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how difficult this system would be to develop, and I know it hasn't worked on other servers, but seeing as this one is more combat-focused it means that not everyone will be able to just pick up a gun and play as a soldier, at least not if they want to be an expert in other areas.
Adding in rng to everything will remove the value of skill and turn every fight into a luck based event whether your bullets will hit or not (though I do agree with the principle to block things like piloting or surgery to respective roles, its not viable given the player count and how dis-organised the game mode is)

I think the guys here need to concentrate on getting an ironed down game mode is what I'm trying to say.

As for the rewards system. I think it was paradise or something that brought something similar, making players able to "thumbs up" another player which essentially gives them points to buy stuff in a shop.

Maby a system where medals obtained in the game give points similar which can be used for custom skins and the like (just make it difficult to get a medal. commander is eventually going to be whitelisted I think anyway. make it so only they can give em out... maby add a haunted halo helmet :O)
(04-18-2018, 11:08 AM)Hazel Wrote: Adding in rng to everything will remove the value of skill and turn every fight into a luck based event whether your bullets will hit or not (though I do agree with the principle to block things like piloting or surgery to respective roles, its not viable given the player count and how dis-organised the game mode is)

I think the guys here need to concentrate on getting an ironed down game mode is what I'm trying to say.

As for the rewards system. I think it was paradise or something that brought something similar, making players able to "thumbs up" another player which essentially gives them points to buy stuff in a shop.

Maby a system where medals obtained in the game give points similar which can be used for custom skins and the like (just make it difficult to get a medal. commander is eventually going to be whitelisted I think anyway. make it so only they can give em out... maby add a haunted halo helmet :O)

Adding in rng to everything will remove the value of skill and turn every fight into a luck based event whether your bullets will hit or not

That is already the case.

We already have a good boy points system for cosmetics, it's called donating. And CO is already whitelisted.
Oh wait sorry, didnt read it properly i think it was late when i read this.

so to dumb it down.

skill points limit what objects you can interact with.

admin interference can change the amount of skill points you have thus letting you use more objects.

i feel we'll get some "Master Chief" characters if we do something like this, a mary sue who knows how to do everything. though i dont think the idea is bad i feel it would make more sense for example if there were pre-set skillpoints for ranks and then players can top-up on that rather than picking and choosing. some skill points may be mandatory.

so pilots might have to have 5 in piloting but 10 to distribute freely.

but again the mary sue would be an issue, I can see this being somewhat annoying but a viable option. Just need to limit certain ranks to certain skills and force the same onto things like odst etc. (They need to know how to use their own equipment for example)

though i dont think you should limit a gun too much, maby add a chance to have the gun knock them over or them to hurt their hands playing around with it without knowing the first thing about using it.

i'd support the idea anyway. but i think right now we needs to concerntrate on getting the gamemode fixed up
(04-20-2018, 09:40 AM)Hazel Wrote: though i dont think you should limit a gun too much, maby add a chance to have the gun knock them over or them to hurt their hands playing around with it without knowing the first thing about using it.

As i have already said, your chance to hit the shot you are taking is already random. You have a chance to hit a different body part, or to get the notorious 'narrowly missed', which is half the reason I suggested the change. The fact a trained soldier, let alone an ODST or SPARTAN is just as accurate with a firearm as a colonist is pretty ridiculous and can lead to some infuriating situations.
+support anyway.

throwing weapons like molotovs and stuff make more sense for angry civilian rioters to use anyway. or allow them to know how to use a shotgun since it can be found within civilian houses.
I'd say maybe add hard caps for certain roles. Taking a good look at Bay's current implementation of a similar skill system may be in order. For them, certain roles have hard caps on uncommon skills (ie combat, medicine, engineering) and certain roles have a default skill level of varying levels (Sec Officer equivalent starts with at least level 1 in combat skills and law, CE starts with level three in Engineering.) All roles do have points to spend, however, with amount varying by age, and rank/job. A similar, but maybe simpler system would work well here, I think. I would shy away from CMs skill system, however, as it locks many things away. Bay just has decreased success chance with unskilled, so you still might flub your way to success. I think this flexibility is critical considering that as of now, a fully, properly staffed ship is rare in the extreme.
Sounds interesting and makes the game that much more replayable i like it