Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloc97's Developer Application
What position are you applying for (Development or Staff)?
Development

How old are you?

Known IC Names Or Ckey:
Bloc97

What timezone are you in?
-5 EST

How long can you be active on the server everyday?
I can be active for a significant amount of time when I don't have school work.

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
The first time I played SS13 was 6 years ago, but I didn't play every day of those 6 years.

Have you ever been banned in the past?
5 years ago: Opening a plasma canister as non-antag. Forgot server name.

Do you have any past experience as a moderator?
Yes, but not in SS13. I've hosted a lot of gameservers in the past, but never had to moderate more than 20 players at once.

*If you are applying for development, What skills do you have?( Mapping, coding or spriting etc.) 
Mapping and Coding

*If you are applying for development, How long have you done Space Station 13 development?
I've been tinkering around in DM for about 1 month now.

*If you are applying for development, How long have you been coding and how well do you understand it?
I mainly code in other languages (Java, Lua, C#, etc.), and since I am currently studying Computer Sciences in university, I believe I can adapt myself to any language.

*If you are applying for development, What codebase are you familiar with?
For that 1 month of tinkering, it was mainly on Paradise station code.

*If you are applying  for development, How long have you been a Mapper and how well do you understand it?
I've mapped for a lot of games as modder, and I've mapped for my own personal game projects in multiple engines (Unity, GameMaker, RPGMaker, etc.). I believe I know the basics of it and I can improve myself over time in DM.

*Comments?
Where can I find the endgoal and objectives of this server? I've looked around and the ideas for this server seems very interesting to me. I personally am really fond of complete remakes of a game, since it brings in much more gameplay and replayability.
Hi there! Welcome to the community. I just have one quick question myself, how familiar are you with Git and GitHub?
--bloxgate
[Image: 76561198022559245.png]
The guy who's hosting the forums, and does some coding too.
Welcome to the forums friend, can't wait.
[Image: 76561198068836779.png]
(07-24-2016, 10:05 AM)bloxgate Wrote: Hi there! Welcome to the community. I just have one quick question myself, how familiar are you with Git and GitHub?
I'm familiar with GitHub, as I use it very frequently. I can use the Git GUI on windows and the command line on linux.
(07-24-2016, 10:12 AM)BDpuffy420 Wrote: Welcome to the forums friend, can't wait.
Thanks.
Mapping in DM is vaguely similar to GM but entirely grid based, otherwise quite simple and easy. Atom definitions are heavily typed which gives it some similarity to Lua (a darling little scripting language I love it to bits). Comfortable devving in C# and Java will translate handily to feature dev for Byond/SS13. You'll find devving in SS13 is also extremely good practice for learning/improving your git wizardry.

Your skillset and experience sounds perfect for various unglamorous (but critical) maintenance jobs like implementation and QA for weapons/clothing/other misc gear, low level bug fixing, QA testing for the ship/fighter flight models and control schemes. I'm in the process of updating the todo list and once you get on skype I'll hand you some specific stuff.

The gamemode concepts in https://projectunsc.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18 represent broad overarching roadmap milestones. The culmination would be the "Great War" gamemode which is an ultimate megamode combining all other HS13 modes but the amount of work required to get to that point would put it years away at current pace, not to mention the engine and current server hardware would be unlikely to support it (player numbers needed would be around 100+ minimum). I'm in the process of redoing the roadmap as well, but quite soon (open alpha launch) I'd like to get community input on which gamemodes to prioritise next.
Also quick question, do you happen to have skype since we do most of our  communication there. And if you do we can wrap this  application up!
Yea, I'm mostly confident about programming optimized methods to implement novel features. Adding items would be trivial (eg. adding 20 new guns that only shoot), but coding custom functions that could be used for new weapon types would be interesting.

I really like the gamemode concepts, and I would like to suggest a few more of my own, especially some that are more heavy on roleplay.

So I'm waiting for your guys' verdict.
Where do I start? And where can I find the information to contact you guys? Should I PM you my skype or do you guys use a different software?

(07-25-2016, 04:04 PM)BDpuffy420 Wrote: Also quick question, do you happen to have skype since we do most of our  communication there. And if you do we can wrap this  application up!

Yea my skype is bloc97. I'm currently working at my summer job. I'll be home at 6PM EST. My shift finishes this week, and I'll then be available somewhat full-time.
Alright great, welcome to the team bloc97. I'll get you setup in with details very soon!